My friend was supposed to be making some silly webpage about himself for a class at UCSC, and that inspired me to take a hack at a really less important backburner project I’ve had on my mind for a while.
So as you may know, I upload ost of my miscellaneous pictures to Colette now since the site doesn’t let me browse directories. Well, Colette lets me browse directories, but that’s about it. If I’m actually looking for a particular picture, it can be mighty hard to find, especially when I split uploaded pictures by month (probably a dumb thing to do; I might start doing it by quarters). At any rate, some times ago, I thought it’d be real nice to have some sort of gallery to make my searching for pictures easier.
I think maybe three or four months ago – probably when summer started – I tried installing a gallery onto Colette, but because I don’t really know much about this stuff, it was an epic fail. Or just a regular fail. Really, I just didn’t get anything to work.
It occurred to me that despite the insistence of someone – my sister maybe? – the apache server running on Colette wasn’t php capable when I tried to figure out that gallery stuff at the beginning of summer. Since all the gallery stuff required php in some way or another, that could explain the fail. I was fairly scared of messing stuff up, so I was hesistant to try to install php, but it turned out to be a simple process and I got that done. That php installed properly suggests that it indeed wasn’t there in the first place.
I wasn’t quite sure what to search, so it took me a while to find some sort of free gallery software that wasn’t complete crap and didn’t need something complicated like mySQL (although in retrospect, it might actually be really easy to get that going to; I’m just scared of messing stuff up. The Colette Windows install has been around for a year a half now, and I don’t quite remember how to set everything up again D:). At any rate, I found phpGallery.
I don’t think it actually took me that long to figure out how to install the thing. I remember doing a test run and being really, really surprised that it was working. It did take me a while to figure out that the script would accept a “../” for “up folder” (way to standardize the “..” computer industry!) in the configuration file, and thereby letme tidy up the entire setup a bit, but I ultimately got it configured and working more or less the way I wanted:
Ya, so it’s not quite polished per se, but it works and makes my life easier. BUT IT WORKS! I still can’t effin believe it. At this point you can start to see how Colette is a bit slow compared to some real enterprise servers. Clicking through some folders and you can see how some bigger pages are taking almost half a second to get generated; other phpgraphy galleries around the Internets are doing it in like 0.010 seconds…
But wait, there’s more!
I’d thought I’d written about this before, but a Google site search says no, so I’ll elaborate. About a year and a half ago (maybe more), I made a silly little splash page for Colette from a CPU-Z spec dump with some links to you know, the usual DA, brickshelf, etc. As you can see from the URL of this page, it isn’t quite being used anymore. That’s because I made a new one just for the lulz.
This story really goes back to the splash I made for a blog that me and a guy I know online were going to do. I taught myself a smattering of css in like a night and hacked this out at the same time. I still think it’s actually pretty stylish (though i bet the coding is awful), but it doesn’t work in IE (if I had something that could make your IE open this up and show you the fail, I’d link it here).
Anyway, I made a new splash for Colette based on the OrangePlanet splash. It’s not really a splash, I guess, just a small collection of links like the old one. For visual interest, there’s a little excerpt from the “My Computer > Properties” tab in the Windows XP installation. There was going to be a little header and footer as well, but I couldn’t get them to work in IE. BUT THIS WORKS IN IE! Almost perfectly.
I actually wrote up one version with an index and css file separate, which didn’t work in IE because it was based off of the OrangePlanet thing, but it bothered me and I basically re-wrote the whole thing until it worked in IE. Which, considering how bad I am at this kind of thing, took a considerable amount of time. At any rate, I’m done with this entry.