So this week, we’ve got a couple miscellaneous items.
First is an actual drawing-type thing, a “better” version of the marker business I did in d277.
The Symphonia has gotten quite a few changes between revisions; it’s a little annoying as I keep trying to stick with one model, but then I just have the urge to add more and flesh more out everytime I do something like this. The “exposed” reactors on the rear are new and I keep changing the pattern on the big center command module.
I did this one solely because I really wanted to use the little white out pen to draw the little lights on the dark side of the ship and the stars in the background. I think it turned out fairly well overall, though. What I’m really looking to do with my marker and ink is just to clean the stuff up; a lot of it is sketchier than I’d like, but it’s just hard when you can’t erase…
Anyway, enough of that.
So the last time this site was updated was apparently in July of 2005. And I mean the site itself, not our weekly updates, obviously. So obviously today’s topic is going to be talk about an update for the site itself (at least I think July 2005 is the update date, because I talk about the existence of an archive for the html pages, which shouldn’t exist unless we switched over to J’s current engine then – at the very least the update must have happened before 2006, as that’s when I started writing combined picture/entries).
But regardless, it’s been forever.
The current site runs on the J-engine which, regardless of flaws or whatever, really does work pretty well. I don’t think it’s actually broken short of me stretching the page all the time. But it IS kind of a pain to update: each update requires the mofification of several files per person; it IS kind of ugly; and the format isn’t really the best thing for what we’re doing these days. The whole thing really is kind of a legacy sort of deal; I think much of the design is still based on the original site version that I wrote way back in fall of 2004.
J and I decided (a while ago now) that a blog format would really be best for the way in which we update the site these days. A ton of times I update and J’s box is showing a dead image for the first half of the week and sometimes longer. Sometimes it’s the reverse. Then we don’t have the same number of updates and stuff is repeated, etc, etc. So it doesn’t work so well anymore.
Whatever the case, I’m trying to have the new version – version five, I think – fix all the problems mentioned, and anything else I can think of. The test site is here
I tried to keep much of the site styling the same, yet make it “updated” at the same time. We still have the same background and box and text colors, but the crappy banner, the courier, the blue links, the tri-box post layout, and the static elements on the main page are gone. This version runs WordPress, so a lot of things that the J engine had to take care of are now offloaded to the new engine. We can tag posts and sort them and edit them conveniently, and at least for my end, transferring all the posts into the WP database shouldn’t be that hard either.
There’s more, but I haven’t really totally gathered my thoughts about this just yet, but the short story is new site soon. Possibly.