dupdate 110709


Well, a slightly different kind of fanart from me this time. I liked J’s idea of doing the character sketches, but I tried to put a spin on it. Kind of going off of what I said in d325, I’m trying something like balancing between my style, their style, and the character, but as with any of these sorts of experiments, the success or failure is debatable.

Anyway, this is Phryne from Fractale. I was going to try to be real pro and hash out a bunch of these real fast, but me being real slow coupled with an unexpected hardware failure (I suppose those are usually unexpected), has led to only this one being complete or even in progress. This is also the first non-full-page colored anything I’ve done for… well, a long time.

I last discussed equipment shuffling very recently in d313, but even the best plans of mice and men…

A few days ago I finally cleared out some space such that I could begin parting out bits and pieces of the decommissioned Motoko. I had the vague intent of keeping the board/processor/memory for testing and/or spares, but there’s still a ton of directly related and indirectly related desktop hardware that I really want to get rid of now. I took everything apart for a little dusting and cleaning before I started putting stuff up on eBay, and –

Well, a few days later and a few days ago, Colette died during “routine maintenance” – a regular dusting out and off of the hardware (one more reason I don’t like desktops – they’re massive dust traps, with or without air filters).

It didn’t really dawn on me that I was out a file server until after an hour so of troubleshooting, during which I’d stripped the machine down to the motherboard. At this point I’d honestly expected Colette to keep on trucking, well, forever. Somewhere in the back of mind I may have had a changeover or fail-over plan to a re-purposed laptop sometime in the future, but suddenly having a backup board/processor/memory seemed like great foresight.

I briefly considered dropping everything and seeing if the board would magically work again the next day, but I decided against it and spent the rest of the day rebuilding lost hardware and software infrastructure. I’m pretty OCD about how everything should be just so in a desktop, and it’s been years since I last configured the http, ftp, and bittorrent services on Colette, so it took me quite a bit to get everything up and running again.

On the upside, I took this chance to streamline some of the software stuff. I now run http and ftp servers from xampp, as I finally figured out how to configure the FileZilla FTP server (I’d tried this twice in the past and failed). Previously I ran ftp from a much more obscure software that needed extra ports and stuff to run. All of the server stuff is also now running on Windows 7, leaving the x200t with my last XP install.

By 2am or so, externally it should have seemed like nothing happened.

I’m still going to use “colette” URLs for self-hosted pictures (to maintain a consistent layer of abstraction) though the hardware at the end of the line has been completely changed. Elsewhere, I’m just using “trianglesoft.net”. But an old piece of hardware has gotten a new lease on life following the death of… an older piece of hardware. I’m a little sad to see Colette go, but as they say in Japan, “it can’t be helped”.

There’s definitely upsides though. With Windows 7, everything really does work a bit better, and with the updated hardware, a lot of stuff moves faster too, including my storage stuff (update tbd). Even on network transfers, which I thought had been bottlenecked by the EoP stuff, things move faster. I’m getting 2.5MB/s where I used to get 1.5MB/s, and 3.5MB/s where I used to get about 2.5MB/s.

But more on that next time…